CRAIG LEE BURKET
Senior Software Engineer
17A Arlington St., Cambridge, MA 02140
Last updated: 4/22/2017
30 years of full-stack experience across all phases of the Software Development Life-Cycle (SDLC).
THOMSON REUTERS, Boston, MA, ThomsonReuters.com 4/2017 to present
Senior Software Engineer
· Developing REST APIs for the next generation of the eBillingHub product.
· Using Azure, C#, SQL, JSON, XML, ASP.NET, VB.NET, Visual Studio 2017, TFS, Postman, IIS, regedit, WebEx, Jabber, Agile/Scrum.
GRIDUNITY (formerly QADO ENERGY, INC.), Boston, MA, GridUnity.com 11/2016 to 3/2017
Consulting Software Engineer
· Designed, implemented and tested enhancements, refactoring and bug-fixes in a customer-facing web application that facilitates the integration of new electricity-generation sources (e.g. solar panels/farms) into electrical power distribution grids. Enhancements included:
o Conditional visibility of menus & sub-menus, and conditional access to their pages based on specific privileges assigned to roles assigned to users.
o A workflow for extracting specific field-values from other workflows.
o Workflows for importing/generating/exporting CSV files between database tables, AmazonS3 and STFP servers.
o Caching of lists fetched (by ORM layers) from the database only when needed, to improve performance.
o A REST/Java API for creating, retrieving, updating and deleting custom privileges in a security model.
o Custom JSP web pages for handling unexpected server exceptions and HTTP errors.
GIANT EAGLE, INC., Pittsburgh, PA, GiantEagle.com 7/2016 to 10/2016
Consulting Software Developer
· Designed, implemented, tested and deployed:
o RESTful web services for an e-commerce framework, providing WebAPI service methods related to (1) gift cards (balance check and order history) and (2) business-to-business (B2B) customers and their associated users (creating and querying).
o A utility for loading and updating B2B-customer-related data from Excel spreadsheets into Oracle and SQL Server databases.via object-relational mapping (ORM) layers.
· Used WebAPI, OAuth, C#, LINQ, SQL, JSON, HTTP, .NET 4.5.2, Entity Framework 6.1, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel, Visual Studio Enterprise 2015, Team Foundation Server (TFS), SQL Server 2012, SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), Oracle 11i, Oracle.DataAccess.Client, Oracle SQL Developer, Postman, SharePoint 2013, Windows Server 2012, JIRA, Skype for Business, GoToMeeting, Agile/Scrum.
HINDA INCENTIVES, Chicago, IL, hinda.com 12/2015 to 4/2016
Consulting Software Developer
· Enhanced the automated order-processing subsystem of a web-based employee-rewards platform by developing API-based integrations with 2 international order-fulfillment vendors. Enabled data-flow (via XML files and programmatically-generated Excel spreadsheets) for (1) importing catalogs from vendors, (2) sending orders from clients to vendors and (3) receiving and handling order-status messages from vendors, via a central group of SQL Server databases, generating email notifications for error-reporting.
· Developed SQL queries to: (1) create reports for business users about statistics and details of imported catalogs and their items; (2) identify “lagging” orders that are behind schedule in various stages of the pipeline from the client placing an order on a Hinda website and the successful delivery of the specified items to the recipient.
· Designed, implemented and deployed an ASP.NET/C# web application that enables an administrative user to load a spreadsheet specifying a set of orders, generate order-placement XML files for those orders, and upload those files via SFTP to the appropriate vendor, updating the user-interface with incremental progress messages via SignalR.
· Defined requirements, implementation/testing tasks, estimates, priorities and design approaches for a set of proposed enhancements to a web site used by the Sales team to demonstrate the capabilities of client-specific sites hosted by Hinda Incentives.
· Wrote GUI specifications, designed and implemented (including SQL stored procedures) 3 new pages in an MVC/Razor/C# web application for generating and downloading (1) database reports (as CSV files) about (a) items in international catalogs from multiple vendors for a specified country, (b) orders from specified clients during a specified date-range and processed by specified shipment vendors; (2) zip files containing image files for items in the international catalogs for a specified country and vendor.
· Enhanced pages in the above web application for searching for a particular client’s order and displaying its details, contained items and history of shipment-status updates for each item.
BROOKLINE ADULT & COMMUNITY EDUCATION, Brookline, MA, BrooklineAdultEd.org 9/2015 to 11/2015
SCHEIDT & BACHMANN USA, Burlington, MA, scheidt-bachmann.com/en/ 9/2015 to 11/2015
Consulting Software Developer
· Developed, tested, deployed and documented a data-synchronization utility (invoked periodically from Windows Server as a scheduled task) which runs a set of “export” and “import” reports on a schedule specified in XML configuration files and writes status/error messages to a log file. For each export report, it calls a SQL stored procedure, archives the resulting data as either a JSON or CSV file and uploads the generated file via Secure FTP (SFTP) to an FTP server. For each import report, it downloads a CSV file from the FTP server (via Secure FTP) and inserts its contents into a specified table in an Oracle database.
· Used C#, SQL, .NET Framework 4, Visual Studio, Oracle.ManagedDataAccess, Oracle 11gR2, SQL Tools, Renci.SshNet, FileZilla, VPN, Remote Desktop Connection, Windows Server 2008.
FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE, Waltham, MA, FreseniusMedicalCare.us 7/2015
Consulting Software Developer
· Proposed, specified and prototyped an integration between SharePoint 2013 and Azure databases, using (within SharePoint): Custom Sites, Custom Pages, Custom Actions, Custom Forms, External Lists, External Content Types, Excel Services, Business Data Connectivity Services, as well as SharePoint Designer 2013, Visual Studio Community 2013, Office 365, Access 2013, Excel 2013, “XML Spreadsheet 2003” representation of Excel 2013 spreadsheets, and Agile with daily scrums.
MILLIS RECREATION DEPARTMENT, Millis, MA, millis.org/Pages/MillisMA_Recreation 6/2014 to 6/2015
· Developed and taught community-education courses in Music Theory/History, Software Engineering, and Physics/Cosmology.
Meketa Investment Group, Inc., Westwood, MA, MeketaGroup.com 4/2012 to 3/2014
· Proposed, planned, designed, implemented, tested, documented and supported new features, enhancements, bug-fixes and refactoring in a financial-analysis application using a many-tiered Service-Oriented Architecture, C#, SQL, WinForms, Telerik controls, WCF, IIS, SQL Server, SSMS, SSIS, SharePoint, Visual Studio, TFS, and Agile with daily scrums.
· My enhancements included:
o Screens that enable (1) scanning, parsing, validating and saving data (to a SQL Server database) from user-supplied Excel spreadsheets, and (2) interactive editing of the uploaded data.
o Automated generation of Word documents from a set of “template” documents in a SharePoint Document Library, programmatically inserting values from a database into Document Properties in the generated Word documents (according to user-supplied specifications), then saving as PDF.
o An interactive editor for hierarchies of aggregate investment portfolios and their characteristics.
Public Consulting Group, Boston, MA, PublicConsultingGroup.com 8/2010 to 4/2012
Consulting Web-Applications Developer
· Developed enhancements to 2 client-facing web-applications (using ASP.NET, VB.NET, SQL Server, Visual Studio, TFS, and Agile with daily scrums) for storing, reviewing and analyzing documents (and their metadata) relating to:
1. Reports of Medicaid fraud and abuse:
· Added front-end GUI features and business logic (using HTML, CSS and Silverlight) and back-end database structures (SQL stored procedures, user-defined functions, views, tables and scripts).
2. Tracking legal appeals of “adverse decisions” for Medicaid claims:
· Added a set of new web pages and their menu items.
· Designed and implemented the GUI-controls, business logic and database structures needed by these new pages.
· Wrote a detailed list of tasks and estimates for developing this project.
· Gave weekly demos (via Webex and conference calls) of new functionality.
DECISION RESOURCES, Waltham, MA, DecisionResources.com 1/2007 to 6/2010
· Developed SharePoint workflows using C#, Workflow Foundation and SharePoint Designer.
· Developed 2 Oracle Universal Content Management (UCM) criteria workflows, using Java SE.
· Enhanced, maintained and documented a SQL Server database of epidemiological data using SSIS and DTS packages.
· Developed Perl utilities for the Production Dept., e.g., to aggregate and transform tables in MS Word documents.
MOODY’S INVESTORS SERVICE, New York, NY and Jersey City, NJ, moodys.com 8/2005 to 8/2006
· Enhanced and maintained a Java-based integration between Stellent Content Server and a records-management application.
· Planned, coordinated and executed controlled “rollouts” (deployments) of enhancements & bug-fixes from QA to Production.
· Wrote documentation for developers (as wiki pages) about the Stellent Content Server and MDY FileSurf repositories.
WHISTLING FROG SOFTWARE, Millis, MA 9/2002 to 8/2005
Consulting Software Engineer, contract projects at:
· CGI Group, 7/2005 to 8/2005 and 4/2003 to 6/2003
· State of Alaska Department of Natural Resources, 5/2005 to 6/2005
· Carrier Corporation, 3/2005 to 7/2005
· Moody’s Investors Service, New York, NY, 9/2004 to 2/2005
· Millis Democratic Town Committee, Millis, MA, 10/2004 to 11/2004
· Ovitas, Inc., Woburn, MA, 8/2004
· Duck Designs Co., Derry, NH, 7/2004
· Media Entities, Inc., Medford, MA, 1/2004 to 7/2004
· empolis North America, Burlington, MA, 9/2003 to 12/2003
· Boston Stellent Users Group, 9/2003
· Binary Minds, Inc., Medway, MA, 8/2003
· Colliers International, Boston, MA 11/2002 to 2/2003 and 8/2003
· Raytheon, Co., Andover, MA and Waltham, MA, 7/2003
· Molecular.com, Watertown, MA, 5/2003 to 7/2003
· Crown Partners, LLC, Oakwood, OH, 3/2003 to 4/2003
· Quotient, Inc., Columbia, MD, 2/2003
· W. A. Wilde Co., Holliston, MA, 9/2002 to 11/2002
STELLENT, INC. Marlborough, MA, stellent.com 7/1999 to 8/2002
Senior Software Development Engineer
· Developed the Content Categorizer product (using Java SE), which enables customers to integrate a Content Server repository with content/document categorization/classification engines from several 3rd-party vendors, e.g. Autonomy.
· Designed and implemented (in C++, using Visual C++ and PDF APIs) a utility for merging PDF Forms Data Files into a PDF template file and outputting the result as either PDF or Postscript.
· As part of a small development team, specified, designed (using UML) and implemented (as a multi-threaded Java application) the Report Parser product.
· Developed a utility to communicate between Content Server and a records-management application (ForeMost Enterprise).
· Developed a web-based e-commerce product ("Softgoods") that manages subscription-based delivery of online content.
· Attended and reported on technical conferences and seminars.
INTERLEAF, INC., Waltham, MA 8/1989 to 5/1999
Member of Technical Staff (Development Engineer)
· Integrated a prototype implementation for the “Interleaf 7 XML” product into the main branch of the Interleaf 7 codebase.
· Designed, implemented, enhanced and maintained Interleaf 7 subsystems including Publish-As-XML, Publish-As-HTML, I18N, the LISP interpreter and Motif/X11 GUI libraries.
· Developed a proof-of-concept prototype for XML-DTD-compliant “structured authoring” of XML documents using an integration between Interleaf 6 and MicroStar's Near & Far Designer. Exhibited this prototype at the "XML '98" conference in Seattle, WA.
· Planned features, tasks and schedules for a set of “filter” utilities that perform bidirectional conversions between Interleaf documents and other file formats:
o Enhanced the RTF import/export filters (in C) to handle Japanese text and fonts.
o Enhanced the graphics-conversion libraries (in C) to work with GDSF and ImageStream libraries from Inso Corp.
o Coordinated the exchange of source-code changes (in C) with a team of developers and QA engineers in Moscow.
o Developed and maintained a set of scripts (in C-Shell, Bourne Shell and Perl) for deploying changes to the filter utilities, running automated builds (on Windows and UNIX), reporting build-time errors and running automated regression tests.
· Designed, developed and maintained the WorldView Press product, which converts a given set of Interleaf documents into a searchable, hyperlinked collection of WorldView (formerly Printerleaf) files.
· Developed enhancements & new features for the Interleaf 5 product, including "layered applications", online help, persistent LISP objects, hypertext authoring & automated generation of hyperlinked indexes, Tables of Contents and cross-references.
AGFA CORPORATION (AGFA COMPUGRAPHIC DIVISION), Wilmington, MA 7/1988 to 8/1989
· Continued development (in C on Solaris UNIX) of electronic publishing applications acquired from Texet Corporation.
TEXET CORPORATION, Arlington, MA 3/1986 to 7/1988
· Designed and implemented (in C on Solaris UNIX) enhancements to a structured-authoring product based on SGML.
Northeastern University, Framingham, MA: Graduate courses in Artificial Intelligence engineering 1994 to 1995
Harvard University Extension School, Cambridge, MA: Graduate courses in Math and Software Engineering 1990 to 1993
University of Massachusetts, Boston, MA: Certificate in Computer Science 1989
New England Conservatory of Music, Boston, MA: Bachelor of Music with Honors 1978